Thursday, August 27, 2015

3 Random Things About Chile

1. The staple food of Chile is not rice as commonly believed. It's bread. The one that we eat everyday is my favorite. It's called hallulla. There's nothing comparable in the US, and it's super "rica" (delicious)! Especially fresh from the PanderĂ­a after a long day at school. yummm. I'm anticipating missing it already, and I still have a year to enjoy it. We frequently eat it as a sandwich with ham and cheese. Also with "manjar", which is like carmel, but milky-er and Chilean. Oh. Also with this savoury meat/pork paste that has red pepper pieces in it. I have no idea what it's called, or what it actually is. I'm not sure that I want to know. Anyway, I'm going to have to take both hallulla and manjar back to the US with me. As well as learn how to make them.
hallulla with ham and cheese. My after-school snack.
Hallulla


¡Oh Manjar!

2) Luckily I don't like coffee, and/or I'm not a coffee snob, but they only drink NescafĂ© Instant coffee here. I could care less, but be warned. 
3) I think they send the Spanish new-bees here because: a) everyone is really nice and willing to help me learn Spanish. b) they use A LOT of hand motions. Like even when they talk to each other, and not just to me. It's probably one of the only reasons I can understand anything they say. And it's really helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my kind of place. And, there might be an entrepreneurial opportunity for a coffee house that served "good" coffee.

    ReplyDelete